Multiple dog fatalities reported in Ballito
MyBallito has received numerous emails from distraught Ballito residents over the last week reporting that their beloved dogs have suddenly passed away after they took them for a walk on Ballito and Westbrook beaches.
Jill from Ballito emailed us on Monday reporting that she took her dog, Shelby for a 5 km walk in Westbrook on Sunday afternoon at around 16:00. After they had returned home later that afternoon, Shelby started showing signs of discomfort. Shelby started whimpering a few minutes later and within moments she passed away.
Another Ballito resident who wishes to remain anonymous lost her Yorkshire Terrier on Tuesday after a walk along Ballito Main Beach.
Various Social Media reports have alleged that a poisonous substance that affects dogs could have landed on the sand. When consumed by a dog, the poison is fast-acting and fatal.
MyBallito has attempted to contact the Department of Environmental Affairs, Sharks Board and Kwa-Dukuza Municipality for comment, but no response was received by the time of publication.
Pet owners are advised to be vigilant when walking their dogs on the beach until the cause of the deaths is found.
You may be interested
Female pedestrian left critical in collisionAdministrator - Apr 16, 2018
A woman, believed to be in her 20s, was left critically injured when she was knocked over by a light…
Taxi accident leaves 14 injured on N2Administrator - Mar 26, 2018
At approximately 14h30 yesterday afternoon, IPSS Medical responded to reports of a taxi accident on the N2 before Nyoni. Upon…
43 year-old female falls from third storey apartment balconyAdministrator - Mar 19, 2018
A 43 year-old female has fallen from her third storey apartment balcony in Sheffield this afternoon. The patient sustained critical…