KZN top cop gets the boot
The much anticipated axe finally fell on provincial police commissioner Lieutenant-General Mmamonnye Ngobeni on Thursday, when she was suspended from her job.
Ngobeni was yesterday served with a formal letter of suspension from the office of the acting national police commissioner, Kgomotso Phahlane, and will drop her hold on the reins of the province’s police as of today.
The information was confirmed by well-placed sources in police management yesterday, and, according to the sources, Major-General P.B. Langa — who recently joined the provincial office as deputy police commissioner in charge of operations — would act as KZN’s police boss.
Ngobeni yesterday confirmed her suspension, but declined to comment further.
Maniklall said attorney-client confidentiality would not allow him to divulge any further information.
Also declining to provide further information on Ngobeni’s suspension, national police spokesperson Hangwani Mulaudzi told The Witness that the SAP reiterated its position that matters of “this nature” are between the employer and employee. “Any decision taken by the acting national commissioner is taken within the confines of our regulatory framework, balanced with the interests of the service and the individual concerned in mind,” said Mulaudzi.
Ngobeni’s suspension has been anticipated since March this year, when she was served with a notice of intended suspension.
The embattled commissioner filed her representations against the decision last month. The suspension is believed to be geared on allegations that wealthy Durban businessman Thoshan Panday paid approximately R30 000 for a birthday bash for Ngobeni’s husband, Major-General Lucas Ngobeni, currently the uMgungundlovu South police cluster commander in Pietermaritzburg.
It has been alleged that Panday, who has also been linked to President Jacob Zuma, was then favoured by Ngobeni to obtain a police accommodation contract during the 2010 Soccer World Cup. It is alleged that Panday inflated prices and pocketed about R60 million.
The charges against Panday and Ngobeni were withdrawn due to a lack of evidence, but investigations into the matter were continued by then KZN Hawks head Johan Booysen, and thereafter by former Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) head Robert McBride.
Both men were suspended from their jobs.
Read the full story here: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/kzn-top-cop-gets-the-chop-20160519
You may be interested
22 people dead in 12 hours on KwaZulu-Natal roadsNews Guy - Dec 10, 2018
Twenty-two people died on KwaZulu-Natal roads on Saturday, with one accident on the N2 near Empangeni claiming 15 lives alone.…
Loadshedding Schedule: Saturday 1 December 2018 – Stage 2News Guy - Dec 01, 2018
Dear Ballito, We have upsetting news for you. Eskom announced that they need to implement Stage 2 loadshedding from 16:00…
Eskom implements stage 2 loadshedding on Friday – Ballito you are affectedNews Guy - Nov 30, 2018
Eskom announced on Friday that it would implement 13 hours of stage 2 load shedding between 09:00 and 22:00. Ballito…